Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Trip to Emergency!

So yesterday was an eventful day.  As I have been suffering from back pain for the last week or so, my pain took a turn for the worst.  I was in so much pain, that I could not bend over, could not walk, and could barely speak.  I could only sit or lay in one position, and felt helpless.

While feeling ok to sit, I let M go to the gym, although he had his doubts about leaving me. I told him that it was only for a few hours, and I would be fine.  "Go" I said.

After a few hours by myself, around 14:30, I realized that I needed to eat.  I had not eaten since 10:00, and really needed something in my system.  I got up, I thought to myself "Ok, my pain meds have kicked in, I can do this".  I get to the fridge, and uh-oh, I am in a lot of pain, I guess I am not Ok doing this.  I quickly grab my cottage cheese, and head back to the couch. By the time I get to the couch, I am in tears, can barely breathe and am in so much pain.  I could scream from pain at this point.

So I sit down, and calm myself, and am able to sit there for a few more hours with discomfort.  After a few hours, I am exhausted, I cannot hold myself up anymore, and just want to go back to bed.  I left everything by the couch, but in one last breath grab my phone.

I sit up, ready to go to the bedroom, and give myself a little pep-talk "this is going to hurt, you know it is, and you need to make it to the bedroom, you must walk and you must make it.  Focus through the pain"

With every might I have, I make it to the bedroom, and am ready to pass out from pain.  I am alone, and am so scared at this moment. I don't know what to do.  I gather a bit more energy and text M, "please come home and take me in". Fortunately for me he is getting dressed and is on his way home.

In the mean time I call my papa for support, and for someone to talk to to keep me conscious.

He was not prepared for what he was about to see, I was paralyzed with pain.  He insisted that he call the paramedics, but I am stubborn, I can make it.  I insisted that I can do it, I just need time. I started to roll over, and that was it, we called the paramedics.

As the paramedics arrive, I have calmed down, but my pain is unbearable and I am scared.

They take me in, I have an X-ray, blood work, and a urinalysis done.  They find out that I have had such a bad UTI, that it has traveled up to my kidneys and have infected them.  My back pain is cause by my left kidney.

This confused me as I did not have any signs of infection.  No fever, not even low grade, no burning upon voiding, no increased frequency or urgency.  Nothing, so I am not sure how I got such a bad UTI!!!

So after a shot of Toradol (yes it is an NSAID, but this was emergent from the swelling), I am sent home with a script for Tylenol #3's, Ciprofloxacin HCL, and a laxative to combat the codeine in the T#3's.

So here I am at home today, resting and feeling much better.  The Toradol really helped my pain, and I am feeling much better.  I am hoping it goes away soon, because I can feel the pain creeping back up.

Healing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment